30th Anniversary Pre-Rallies and 30th Anniversary Rally Update
I have received more information about the 2018 Safari 30th Anniversary Rally in Shawnee, OK. I have also received more information from the NW Vice President, Lee Buckley, on his “Rolling Pre-Rally Rally” to join up with the West Coast Safari Clubs in Oklahoma City.
You can find registration forms and schedules below or you can find these and more information on the Safari International Website at:
30th Anniversary Rally, August 27 – September 1, 2018
The Heart of Oklahoma Exposition Center – Shawnee, OK
According to an article in Safari Trails by Ralph Cerney, Immediate Past President:
The rally event schedule and all the special things happening at the 30th are starting to gel! The registration form is in this issue and I know everyone will be pleased to see we have held the cost to the absolute minimum. Two hundred dollars ($200) for Early Bird sign ups and just two-fifty ($250) for you late signers, plus the chance to win a $500 fuel card for those signing up before 1 April 2018.
And with this small rally fee you will receive more things than I can list here in this short article; however, I will hit the high points. Five full dinners, full breakfasts, appetizers and an open bar every evening at happy hour. Five nights camping with full hookups, $1000 coverall Bingo, raffles, silent auctions and special ladies’ events. So much more – from games to seminars to rig displays. You will be so busy, when you leave the rally you’ll go on vacation. Plus there will be some surprises you won’t know about until you come to the rally!
If you are planning to attend the 30th Anniversary Rally in Shawnee, OK, fill out and send in the attached registration form. I have also attached a Safari International Membership Application.
Rolling Pre-Rally from the Northwest
Here is some information from Lee Buckley, Safari International NW Vice President:
The local West Coast fun clubs (Safari So Good, Safari of SoCal, and Safari R Us) have combined forces to put together an informal Pre-Rally in Oklahoma City in the three days leading up to the start of our 30th Anniversary Rally in Shawnee….and I (with LOTS of help from Ed Ellis) have put together a time-line to lead us gently from an initial rendezvous in Silverton, Oregon with reasonable stops along the way, to arrive in Oklahoma City for the pre-rally. From there, it’s a short convoy/caravan to Shawnee on Monday morning, the 27th of August.
I propose the following:
- Starting on the 13th of August, folks who haven’t yet left the Northwest can rendezvous at the Silver Spur RV Park in Silverton Oregon (ph 866-854-7785).
- On the 14th of August, we depart to Pendleton, Oregon approximately 246 miles to overnight at the KOA (ph 541-276-1041) where those from further north in the NW Region might more conveniently want to join us….perhaps some Canadians, eh?
- On the 15th and 16th of August, following a short 263 mile driving day, plan two nights for Mountain Home, Idaho – at the Mountain Home RV Park (ph 208-580-1211)….it gets GREAT reviews.
- On the of 17th of August in Brigham City, Utah another easy 246 mile drive to overnight at their KOA (ph 800-562-0903).
- On the 18th of August, 189 miles to overnight at the KOA in Rock Springs/Green River, Wyoming (ph 800-562-8699).
- On the 19th and 20th of August, another 270 miles for two nights at the KOA in Cheyenne, Wyoming (ph 800-562-1507).
- On the 21st of August, 187 miles to overnight at the KOA in Limon, Colorado (ph 800-562- 2129)….it’s basically the only game in town.
- On the 22nd of August an easy 215 miles to WaKeeney, Kansas for an overnight at their KOA (ph 800-562-2761).
- On the 23rd of August we have 244 miles to Wellington, KS (near Wichita) to overnight at their KOA (ph 620-326-8300).
With only 135 miles remaining to arrive at the Pre-Rally in Oklahoma City on the 24th of August, we will have Friday, Saturday and Sunday to unwind, relax and make plans for the final 36 miles into Shawnee on Monday morning, the 27th of August where we will finally settle into place for the Safari International 30th Anniversary Rally at the Heart of Oklahoma Exposition Center.
This time-line is published so that anyone travelling to Shawnee from out west can have the option to join that path anywhere along the way should they wish. This is not a formal rally, so there are no registration fees or catered meals involved….phone numbers for each stop along the way are provided so that each who wishes to participate can make their own site reservations.
I know that the KOA format is pretty “cookie-cutter” standardized, so that is why I suggest we use them (where available) on our way east as they are normally big rig friendly, pet friendly and have decent facilities. I’ve tried to research each suggested overnight spot so we might avoid a little of the “unknown” that can cause issues…..
I look forward to travelling with many friends this next summer! With a fairly relaxed pace, reasonably short driving days and 2 night stops built-in on every third day (for laundry / shopping / socializing, etc), this has the potential to be an easy and fun trip together.
You will need to make your own reservations at each of these places.
West Coast Safari Clubs Pre-Rally
Oklahoma City, OK
Roadrunner RV Park<
4740 S. I35 Service Road, Oklahoma City, OK
Arrive: Friday, August 24th and Leave Monday, August 27th for Shawnee
According to the West Coast Safari Clubs, there are those coming from the west coast who have expressed an interest in a couple of days rest and fun prior to the 30th anniversary rally. They have picked a destination park right in the center of Oklahoma City to meet for a few nights do some sightseeing, get laundry caught up, and have happy hours.
There will be no rally fees for this event. Each attendee must make their own reservations at the Road Runner RV Park (phone number 405-677-2373). It is a good Sam park so ask for your good Sam discount discount and tell them you want to be a signed with the Safari group. Cut off for the reservation is May 1.
All Safari owners are welcome to join them. More information will be mailed out to those registered.